Impact on the organization
This course is intended to develop the skills needed to reduce security risk and to implement, manage, and remediate compliance and security issues in an efficient way. The tools and techniques can be used to ensure that systems are configured and deployed in a way that meets security and compliance needs, that they continue to meet those requirements, and that all existing systems can be audited and remediations and changes consistently applied as those requirements are revised. This flexibility may help the business to efficiently reduce risk of security breaches, which have a high cost in business disruption, brand erosion, loss of customer and shareholder trust, and financial costs for post-incident remediation. In addition, the organization may be able to use the tools in this course to help demonstrate that compliance requirements set by customers, auditors, or other stakeholders have been met.
Impact on the individual
As a result of attending this course, you should be able to use security technologies included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux to manage security risk and help meet compliance requirements.
You should be able to demonstrate these skills:
- Analyze and remediate system compliance using OpenSCAP and SCAP Workbench, employing and customizing baseline policy content provided with Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Monitor security-relevant activity on your systems with the kernel’s audit infrastructure.
- Explain and implement advanced SELinux techniques to restrict access by users, processes, and virtual machines.
- Confirm the integrity of files and their permissions with AIDE.
- Prevent unauthorized USB devices from being used with USBGuard.
- Protect data at rest but provide secure automatic decryption at boot using NBDE.
- Proactively identify risks and misconfigurations of systems and remediate them with Red Hat Insights.
- Analyze and remediate compliance at scale with OpenSCAP, Red Hat Insights, Red Hat Satellite, and Red Hat Ansible Tower.
Manage security and risk
Define strategies to manage security on Red Hat Enterprise Linux servers.
Automate configuration and remediation with Ansible
Remediate configuration and security issues with Ansible Playbooks.
Protect data with LUKS and NBDE
Encrypt data on storage devices with LUKS and use NBDE to manage automatic decryption when servers are booted.
Restrict USB device access
Protect system from rogue USB device access with USBGuard.
Control authentication with PAM
Manage authentication, authorization, session settings, and password controls by configuring pluggable authentication modules (PAMs).
Record system events with audit
Record and inspect system events relevant to security, using the Linux kernel’s audit subsystem and supporting tools.
Monitor file system changes
Detect and analyze changes to a server’s file systems and their contents using AIDE.
Mitigate risk with SELinux
Improve security and confinement between processes by using SELinux and advanced SELinux techniques and analyses.
Manage compliance with OpenSCAP
Evaluate and remediate a server’s compliance with security policies by using OpenSCAP.
Automate compliance with Red Hat Satellite
Automate and scale your ability to perform OpenSCAP checks and remediate compliance issues using Red Hat Satellite.
Analyze and remediate issues with Red Hat Insights
Identify, detect, and correct common issues and security vulnerabilities with Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems by using Red Hat Insights.
Perform a comprehensive review
Review the content covered in this course by completing hands-on review exercises.